Saturday, February 17, 2007

Auckland Day 2 & to the ship

Friday Feb 16
We awoke this morning to light rain and chilly temps. The day turned out to be pleasant with a few light showers. We packed and organized ourselves, checked our luggage, checked out of the hotel and headed for Kelly Tarlton’s Antarctic Adventure and Sea World. We were uncertain about his choice as the reviews online are mixed. But the rain mad some other choices not so attractive so we decided to try it.

We loved it. It was the vision of one ocean and animal loving man. Kelly Tarlton started with an abandoned wastewater plant and created two aquariums (one for sharks and one for everything else), with a moving walkway in an acrylic tunnel under and through each. Also included is a snowcat ride through the Antarctic Encounter, where we saw an authentic penguin habitat – so authentic that the penguins actually reproduced there.

Elsewhere, there is a stingray pool and a life-size model of Robert Falcon Scott's Antarctic camp from 1910.

We spent about a couple of hours there and when we emerged, the weather had cleared so we went for walk out onto the bay on a long pier. Extremely windy but beautiful.

Back in the city, we gathered our stuff and headed for the ship. The entire boarding process was quick and easy, even with the security requirements that we had not encountered before on previous cruises (our last was pre-911).

The Sapphire Princess is a beautiful vessel. Almost identical in layout to the Dawn Princess that we sailed many years ago with the Brady’s. But bigger – more passengers.

We have a nice stateroom on the Lido (14th) deck with a balcony. I have not felt very well today so I took a nap while Don scoped out the ship.

This evening, we ate at Sabitini’s – a really nice Italian restaurant. The food was delicious and beautifully served. You choose soup or salad and entrée. Then they start you out with antipasti, first hot, then cold. It is reminiscent of a favorite restaurant in Rome, Orson 80! First we had lettuce, marinated artichoke hearts, and for Don, prosciutto and some kind of dried beef. Then came, marinated olives and mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, anchovies, chunks of parmesano-reggiano. Calamari e zucchini fritti followed with fried little crabs puffs with a remoulade sauce. There was also a little ricotta torte - sort of a cross between a crème brulee and a cheese cake, warm, with a savory seasoning. Awesome! All accompanied, of course by lovely breads and wine for Don. By now, I was stuffed ! Then they served our chosen soup/salad.
Don had an insalata mista and I had a tomato soup garnished with grilled shrimps. We neither of us very much liked these selections and since we were already losing our appetite, they were not worth eating.

Next arrived the pasta course. Hand made tagliatelle cooked in a light mushroom broth – gorgeous ! and also some perfect little baby ravioli filled with ricotta and served on a while cream sauce seasoned with herbs. Lovely.

Next came the entrée. Don had a lamb chop that he loved. I had a lobster tail and pumpkin risotto garnished with pumpkin seeds – delicious – different.

The table was cleared and when the waiter came to take our dessert order, he placed a plate of biscotti on the table. I ordered a fruit tart thing and Don had a coffee crème brulee (which was FABULOUS!) I was sooooo full by now, I ate a few berries off my tart and drank my coffee.

We chatted with a British couple at the next able for awhile. They have been on the North Island for a week and are so enamored of it that they looked at real estate and are thinking of maybe retiring here ! Yikes ! They have no children and grandchildren so I guess that could be option – not for me.

Back to our room and straight to bed for us. More drugs for me. I woke around 6:00 and considered for half a second heading for the gym, but then sat down to journal. I am committed to working out every day. The food is too darn good – I could easily gain ten pounds! We toured the fitness center yesterday and it is a really nice facility. Plus there is running track and a promenade deck to walk.

We will be entering the harbor at Tauranga momentarily. Don and I are still deciding what to do today – so many choices…

First, though breakfast…… : )

No comments: